Work at Camp
An AuSM opportunity for students, para-professionals, teachers, and service providers. Make a difference this summer. As an AuSM camp counselor, you have the chance to:
- Get valuable hands-on experience using structure, environmental supports, social stories, and individual communication systems.
- Earn graduate credits from Hamline University. Camp is also an opportunity for students to perform undergraduate internships.
- Apply to work any number of sessions you desire.
- Do it! As a camp counselor, you not only gain personal experience, you touch the lives of individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorder by providing a unique camp experience.
AuSM Camp Staff Applications
2018 AuSM Camp Staff Application Word Document
(Download, open document, save to your computer, complete, and return form)
2018 AuSM Camp Staff Application PDF Document
(Print, complete, and return form)
Camp Hand in Hand Nurse Needed
Story from an AuSM Camp Counselor*
My name is Sara. I was a camp counselor for the first week of day camp this summer. My camper was Ben. I was just thinking about the first day of camp when Ben, who was not thrilled to be at camp, refused to get out of his car. Then I remembered the last day and how it was so hard to say goodbye to him.
Ben and I still keep in touch. He texts me from his mother's phone to fill me in on his life. As a matter of fact, he told me he did a school project about a friend he admired, and he chose to write about me. It is a day-maker when I get a message from Ben. It warms my heart to know that I impacted someone's life, but it also warms my heart to know and have a friendship with someone like Ben. Not only is he bright and talented, but he has this ability to make me smile, laugh, and appreciate life.
Being a counselor reassured me that helping people is my passion. My bond with Ben has shown me that occupational therapy is my path in life. I will never forget Ben or the experience I had at camp with him. Thank you for giving me an experience that has and will continue to inspire me.
*The names in the story have been changed for anonymity.
About AuSM Camp
- All meals and staff housing with modern quarters are provided (for residential camps only).
- Activities may include swimming, hiking, fishing, boating, crafts, nature, archery, horseback riding, and music therapy with a focus on social interaction and communication.
- Campers are divided into groups by age, gender, and interests.
- All sessions have program staff with a background in autism to assist the counselors.