Board of Directors
AuSM’s Board Members
Jenna Matteson-Laabs, President
Keith Guggenberger, Vice President
John Skillings, Treasurer
Jon Ruzek, Secretary
Paul D’Arco, Past President
Laura Detloff, Autistic Community Liaison
- Tamonna Combs
Board of Directors 2023 Meeting Dates
Board meetings are held on Wednesdays from 6:30-8:30 p.m. Board meetings are held virtually.
Joining AuSM’s Board of Directors
Board Member Roles and Responsibilities
Members of the AuSM Board of Directors act on behalf of AuSM’s constituents, including the autism community, our members, donors and partners. The basic responsibilities of AuSM’s Board of Directors include:
- Determine AuSM’s mission, goals and strategic plan.
- Support and evaluate AuSM’s executive director.
- Ensure effective organizational planning, budgeting and financial controls.
- Ensure all AuSM programs are effective and consistent with its mission.
- Secure adequate financial resources for the organization.
- Articulate AuSM’s goals and accomplishments to gain support from the community.
- Collaborate with board and staff to accomplish consensus and confidence in decisions.
- Define criteria for recruitment of new board members.
- Be open to self-evaluation and board development to ensure community representation.
- Ensure compliance with state and federal laws, including filing required federal and state charitable organization tax documents.
- Ensure compliance with policies and regulations related to non-profit fundraising, including the terms of restricted donations.
- Record minutes of board and annual meetings.
Individual Board Member Expectations
Individual AuSM Board of Directors members are expected to:
- Serve a 3-year term, with the choice to serve a second 3-year term.
- Attend monthly board meetings and periodic committee meetings.
- Attend and participate in AuSM events and fundraisers.
- Stay informed about AuSM’s services, programs and policies.
- Be prepared for meetings and ready to share insights, opinions and any concerns.
- Serve on committees, work groups and take on any special assignments. Board standing committees include: executive, finance, development, strategy, advocacy and community building.
- Participate in regular reviews of financial statements in support of board fiduciary responsibilities.
- Personally support fundraising and make a financial contribution.
- Keep up-to-date on developments in autism and needs of the autism community.
- Work collaboratively with staff, working through the Executive Director.
- Represent AuSM to reach new communities, partners and donors.
Who is AuSM looking for to serve on its Board of Directors?
AuSM prides itself on having active, engaged board members. AuSM strives to amplify the voices of all community members we serve. We aim to do this by building a diverse board with broad expertise to move us forward and achieve our mission.
Commitment to Mission and Community: We seek candidates with a commitment to AuSM’s mission and all the communities it serves, from children to adults. Candidates who are passionate, engaged, and willing to participate in board meetings, events, and volunteer service to support AuSM.
Diverse Perspectives: We welcome all interested candidates to apply. The board continues to strive for representation of BIPOC, LGBTQIA, and adult neuro-divergent communities.
Different Ways to Contribute: We seek candidates that are willing to commit to a contribution to the organization that is meaningful to them. AuSM celebrates and encourages contributions in multiple forms. We are committed to an inclusive use of gifts in time, talent, and donations, as well as to equally valuing the contributions of social connections and personal presence.
Professional Knowledge and Skills: We welcome applications from candidates of all professional backgrounds, but especially expertise in areas such as: communications, legislative advocacy, legal expertise, and e-learning / program delivery.
Personality and Communication Style: Through the application process, and potentially virtual interviews, we will ask candidates about their preferred communications styles, how they like to consume information, and how they carry themselves with other volunteers.
Application Period is Closed
Applications for the AuSM Board of Directors are now closed.