Hand in Hand
Hand in Hand has a 1:1 staff-to-camper ratio.
Camp Hand in Hand is held at Camp Knutson, north of Brainerd in Crosslake, Minn. on a peninsula between Trout Lake and Lower Whitefish Lake. This serene camp location features beautiful woodland settings with modern air-conditioned cabins and bathrooms. All of Camp Knutson’s facilities have been either newly renovated or recently built, including the addition of a large recreation center. Nutritious meals are served in a group dining room.
Activities include swimming, boating, geocaching, tubing, horseback riding, fishing, crafts, archery, nature exploration, biking, and music groups led by a board-certified music therapist. Activities focus on social interaction and communication. The camp also offers a small ropes course, paddleboats, and canoes for additional fun. Evenings include bonfires and other fun activities.
AuSM-trained camp counselors and experienced program staff carefully plan and maintain a well-run, relaxed, and rewarding camp experience.
Camp Hand in Hand 2022 Items to Note
- Camp placements will be assigned by a lottery process. The application for the lottery will be open from Jan. 17-Feb. 18, 2022. Submit your lottery application for one session of camp only at any time during the application window.
- Each Camp Hand in Hand session will be 4 nights and five days. As you review the camp sessions, please note the days of the week spans for each to ensure the camp you desire fits into your schedule.
- Camp sessions will have increased capacity compared to 2021; however, they will not be at full capacity.
- As we plan for the 2022 camp season, we’re closely following the evolving pandemic regulations from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Minnesota Department of Health. We anticipate camp safety precautions, which could include masking, social distancing, testing, etc. Camp and Covid-19 guidelines will be available in May 2022.
- Though we encourage COVID-19 vaccines, we do not anticipate a vaccine requirement to participate in AuSM summer camp programs.
Camp Hand in Hand Directors
Dustin Suggs co-directs Camp Hand-In-Hand after working as a counselor and program staff for more than 15 years. His experience at camp has inspired him to follow a career in education. Suggs has been with AuSM camps for over 20 years and is a Special Education Resource Teacher at Lionsgate Academy. He feels honored to have seen so many campers grow throughout the years and especially enjoys seeing the social development that happens at camp.
Sarah Hauer began her Camp Hand in Hand journey as a camp counselor 16 years ago, and camp has inspired the trajectory of her professional career. She currently is in her ninth year working in education, her sixth year as Special Education Teacher and Case Manager, and first year as an elementary school teacher within the Anoka Hennepin school district. Hauer has worked extensively with youth with autism and emotional behavior disorders, and she has been honing her skills in building relationships, addressing needs, and ensuring all will thrive in a safe, supportive environment.
1148 Manhattan Pt. Blvd.
Crosslake, MN 56442
June 22-26, 2022 (all genders, ages 20-24)
June 28-July 2, 2022 (all genders, ages 15-19)
Aug. 8-12, 2022 (all genders, ages 25+)
Aug. 14-18, 2022 (all genders, ages 9-14)